Re: HTML Editors

Subject: Re: HTML Editors
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 18:59:39 PDT

On Tue, 18 Jul 1995 11:21:55 -0400 you wrote:

>In my opinion, speciallized HTML editors are more trouble than
>they're worth. I've written lots of HTML code and the best setup
>I've come up with (which works on all platforms) is to create
>the HTML code with a text processor you enjoy working with and
>view the formatted text with a respected HTML browser.

That's what I do - the classic QEdit (OS/2 flavour) is small, fast, and
extremely powerful: spellchecker, text import/export, ASCII chart, block-mode
marking, find and find/replace, multiple windows, multiple file loads (wanna
change your mailto: address in a dozen or so pages? Load up *.html, ^Q^A
[find and replace], old address, new address, "IN" flags [ignore case, no
promting], then just Alt-N [next file] and ^L [repeat last Find operation]),
macro recorder, selectable wordwrap, auto-indent, adjustable tabs, and more -
all in a little 65kb executeable. And all i have to do to view changes is to
save the file and click "Reload document" in the WebExplorer.

>Create a couple lines of HTML code, and save the file. Open the
>file with the HTML browser to see how it looks. Modify the HTML
>code with the text editor. Save the file. Click reload from the
>browser. Repeat 'til done.

Yeah, what he said :)

Most of the dedicated editors do have a "preview" feature that will
automatically start the WebExplorer and feed it the code (the HTML extensions
for the Enhanced Editor include this as well), but the editors themselves are
usually severely lacking in simple editing features, such as (or is that "such
simple editing features as"?) block mark/cut/copy/paste, spellchecking (QEdit
has it built-in; Enhanced Editor has a couple add-ons available, including an
"on-the-fly" spellchecker), easy text import, search and search-and-replace,
and so on.

Opinions expressed / ROCK-IT SCIENCE Mobile Audio and Security
do not necessarily /| ...the 1040 MIDI & Music BBS Technical Services
reflect those of any [ SOUNDMAN Internet mion -at- direct -dot- ca Fido 1:153/7106
marginally sane human \| WWW http://www.musicwest.com/1040bbs/
being anywhere. \ FAX: (604)253-8312 DATA: (604)732-4446