Re: What do you call this?

Subject: Re: What do you call this?
From: Steve Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 10:38:58 CDT

> I'm writing a definition of the word bit. It is "short for" binary
> digit. Is there a more formal word for "short for" here? It's not an
> acronymn or initialism or anything like this. What is it?

> Thanks in advance. - Nancy

The word "bit" is a contraction of "binary digit." (Webster's New World
Dictionary of Computer Terms, Prentice-Hall, 1983). You might also say that
"bit" is a shortened form of "binary digit" (or you could substitute "an
abbreviated form" or "a truncated form"). Just a few suggestions.


Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com
Landmark Graphics Corporation
15150 Memorial Drive
Houston, TX 77009 USA

Previous by Author: Re: Help on phraseology
Next by Author: Re: What is CGM?
Previous by Thread: What do you call this?
Next by Thread: Re: What do you call this?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads