Re: What do you call this?

Subject: Re: What do you call this?
From: vinod sharma <vin -at- SWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 11:47:52 EDT

Nancy Hoft <itech -at- MV -dot- MV -dot- COM> writes:
+>I'm writing a definition of the word bit. It is "short for" binary
+>digit. Is there a more formal word for "short for" here? It's not an
+>acronymn or initialism or anything like this. What is it?

I'm not sure if this is "formal", but words such as these are sometimes
called Kangaroo words for semi-obvious reasons. Other examples that
occur to me are illuminated->lit and omnibus->bus.

But perhaps you would prefer to define "bit" as an abridged notation
for "binary digit".

vinod sharma_______________________________________________________
SecureWare, Inc p: 404-315-9703x178
2957 Clairmont, Suite 200 f: 404-315-0293
Atlanta, GA 30329 e: vin -at- sware -dot- com

Previous by Author: Company Wide Change from WP to Word
Next by Author: Re: URL
Previous by Thread: Re: What do you call this?
Next by Thread: Re: What do you call this?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads