Re: What do you call this?

Subject: Re: What do you call this?
From: Richard Dimock <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 09:32:10 PDT

Nancy asks:

I'm writing a definition of the word bit. It is "short for" binary
digit. Is there a more formal word for "short for" here? It's not an
acronymn or initialism or anything like this. What is it?

Dick suggests:

a) Contraction of (Webster's says a contraction is the omission
of a sound or letter. But I extend the sense to include this.)

b) Shortened form of (sounds sooo much more civilized than "short

Dick Dimock
AT&T Global Information Solutions
El Segundo, CA
**EAT CROW, Episode 4**
The rebel, being a naturally charming young
man as all American Patriots were then,
calmed down the man. It turned out that
the man owned the farm, and objected to
soldiers scrounging rations from his acreage.
Plus the farmer was a conservative
reactionary capitalist pig loyal to the

Previous by Author: Yellow vs. Amber, DON"T CHANGE
Next by Author: What thrills you?
Previous by Thread: Re: What do you call this?
Next by Thread: Re: What do you call this?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads