Re: What do you call this?

Subject: Re: What do you call this?
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 09:28:16 MST

Nancy Hoft <itech -at- MV -dot- MV -dot- COM> asked

> I'm writing a definition of the word bit. It is "short for" binary
> digit. Is there a more formal word for "short for" here? It's not an
> acronymn or initialism or anything like this. What is it?

Nancy,

I believe it is a contraction. By definition, contractions do
not require apostrophes. It's just that the ones we are most
familiar with use them.

Bev

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=