Re: TIEBREAKER NEEDED: What do you call this?

Subject: Re: TIEBREAKER NEEDED: What do you call this?
From: John Renish <John -dot- Renish -at- CONNER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 08:21:59 PDT

Ah, yes, but:
1) Some sources I've seen for the origin of bit split the word origin as I
previously mentioned.
2) The definition my dictionary provides for contraction refers to
"...omission of _a_ (i.e., single) sound or letter... " Oddly, it does not
mention apostrophes.

So I still say it is an abbreviation at least by reason 2, if anything other
than a normal word. However, as I also mentioned, the same dictionary sees
fit to define bit as a _word_ without giving its origin. Why don't we all do
the same and quit worrying about its etymology, any more than we do for, say,
tip (gratuity), which may or may not be an acronym?

BTW, I see in yesterday's paper a new optical medium can encode up to
31(terceunary?) separate states in a single point. It appears the concept of
bit is about to get much more complicated.

John -dot- Renish -at- conner -dot- com
My statements are my own and do not represent Conner Peripherals, Inc.
Original Text