Re: TIEBREAKER NEEDED: What do you call this?

Subject: Re: TIEBREAKER NEEDED: What do you call this?
From: John Renish <John -dot- Renish -at- CONNER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 14:10:42 PDT

My dictionary defines an acronym as a word formed from the _initial_
(emphasis added) letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major
parts of a compound term. The final T violates this definition. It defines a
contraction as a shortening of a word, syllable, or word group by omission
of _a_ (emphasis added) sound or letter. Removing "nary digi" and
shortening the sound of the first I violates this definition. The same
dictionary defines an abbreviation as a shortened form of a word or phrase
used for brevity esp. in writing in place of the whole. This definition fits
the case.

Having said that, the same dictionary defines bit as a unit of computer
memory corresponding to the ability to store the result of a choice between
two alternatives, which implies that the lexicographer ignored its
provenance and considers bit a real word.

John -dot- Renish -at- conner -dot- com
My statements are my own and do not represent Conner Peripherals, Inc.
Original Text