If you are using...

Subject: If you are using...
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 09:45:52 -0500

Somebody on techwr-l brought up the subject of using or not using "you"
in documentation, so I'm continuing the thread with my question:

I had this phrase in my instructions

"If you are using the (unit name) to send data over a LAN, . . . ,"

and my editor took out "you are" to make "If using."

I can overrule the change if I feel it is clearer the first way (which
I do). Just for kicks, what do you think?

To keep the thread from getting too long, you might choose to send your
replies to me.

Thanks.

LaVonna
LaVonna F. Funkhouser Immediate Past President, OK Chapter
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com Program Manager, 1995 Region 5 Conf.
technical writer Society for Technical Communication
COREStaff Communication Svcs.

My opinions do not officially represent anyone other than me.