Re: PC Purchase: Recommendations?

Subject: Re: PC Purchase: Recommendations?
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 20:52:09 PDT

On Thu, 27 Jul 1995 07:31:00 -0400 you wrote:

>Generally, it's not the best time to buy a PC right now, as Windows 95 is due
> Really Soon Now.

As it (or its previous incarnations, Windows 4.0 and "Chicago") has been for
almost three years now.

> So I would delay the decision two months or so, as nearly
> every Pc comes bundled with lots of software. Or, at least here in Germany,
> you get software much cheaper when you buy it together with a new machine.
> Simply put: Buy the software, get the hardware for free :-)

True of any DOS-based system for the last few years. Waiting (and waiting and
waiting and waiting) for Win9x is as pointless as waiting for the price of a
given PC to drop "just a little more".

I've been doing everything WinEver promises, only better, for the past three
years (everything except running those gobs and gobs of Win32 apps that didn't
exist and no-one even cared about until a few months ago).

Everything except waiting, that is.

>CC> Wanna' get a cd-rom and lots of room for expansion.

>A CD-ROM drive is cheap and needed: Many programs are delivered on CD-ROM. But
> why room for expansion? You can easily add another 16 MB of RAM or another
> card. Five or six drive bays are a good idea, too. But when your processor
> gets to slow in a year or two, you simply swap the motherboard or buy
> another PC.

Expansion? Five or six drive bays? Forget IDE/EIDE and go SCSI right off the
hop. Better all around - faster, more reliable, much more multi-tasking
friendly, with a much longer history - and far more expandable (up to seven
devices per SCSI bus... and you can even plug multiple SCSI adapters into a
single machine if that ain't enough). SCSI devices currently available
include hard drives, all the better tape drives (don't get those QIC-type
junkers that plug into your floppy controller), most quad-speed CD-ROMs, and
most high-end scanners.

Opinions expressed / ROCK-IT SCIENCE Mobile Audio and Security
do not necessarily /| ...the 1040 MIDI & Music BBS Technical Services
reflect those of any [ SOUNDMAN Internet mion -at- direct -dot- ca Fido 1:153/7106
marginally sane human \| WWW http://www.musicwest.com/1040bbs/
being anywhere. \ FAX: (604)253-8312 DATA: (604)732-4446