Re. More embarrassing gaffes

Subject: Re. More embarrassing gaffes
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 13:14:32 LCL

This one I can't take any credit for, but it was a doozy. A former
editorial colleague in the federal government once got called on the
carpet by her director general for an extremely impolitic essay that
appeared in a symposium proceedings. It seems that the author, who had
just retired, had taken the opportunity to deliver a scathing jeremiad
at everyone who had ever annoyed him during a 35-year research career,
then topped it off by criticizing the current government's policies in
rather nasty terms.

When the DG finally ran down enough for my colleague to get a word in
edgewise, she softly pointed out that she had never seen the
publication, let alone the problematic essay; had never sent anything
to the printer; and had never authorized the proceedings for
distribution. Subsequent investigation revealed that a program
manager, recognizing that the editor was swamped, decided to handle
everything himself rather than risking an extensive delay; not knowing
anything about editing, he further suggested that contributors provide
camera-ready copy so no editing or proofreading would be required.
That sure saved the price of a freelance editor, but...

To modify an old adage, "you pays your price or you takes your
chances". (The report in questioned is a hot item... they recalled as
many copies as they could, but many of us are still trying to get our
hands on it to see if it's as bad as the editor claimed. Being a true
pro, she hasn't let any copies loose for general inspection, much to
our dismay.)

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.