Enquiries/Inquiries

Subject: Enquiries/Inquiries
From: Anne Casey <anne -at- ERM -dot- OZ -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 10:27:14 +0800

I need the collected wisdom to adjudicate on a matter.

I recently corrected someone using 'Inquiries' -
and his response was that although he preferred
Enquiries, the Oxford dictionary he consulted
suggested that Enquiries is an alternate spelling.

My understanding is that an Enquiry is to ask, and
Inquiry is, for example, a Judicial Inquiry, or
even the Inquisition; less of a request and more
an investigation.

So - am I right? I dearly hope so, because Inquiries
always makes me squirm.

Thanks people,

Anne Casey
Techwriter from the end of the Internet