Re: The myth of sexist language

Subject: Re: The myth of sexist language
From: Callie <callie -at- WRITEPAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 21:14:57 GMT

Someone asked me what I would use for pronouns in a user manual. I looked
through several manuals I wrote and couldn't find any. I don't use them!

I usually write in the command form and address the user as "you" or just say
"To install the widget:
1. Pry off the lid
2. Shove it into the slot marked "A"

If I am discussing something more general, I may say "The user can access
parts of the database, while the system administrator can access the entire
database and chenge user priveleges." I work mostly with software that has
user roles and levels of privelige. Pronouns don't enter into it as much as
the roles.

Instead of writing "Each user can open his personal file by ..." I would
probably write "A user's personal file can be opened by ..."

Callie