request for opening instructions--whazza problem?!?

Subject: request for opening instructions--whazza problem?!?
From: Susan Fowler <sfowler -at- EJV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 08:03:38 EDT

Why are two or three people complaining about the "opening the juice container"
thread? I think it's perfect.

A New Jersey university has made the mistake of asking me to teach introductory
tech writing, and I intend to use the juice problem as one of the first
assignments: I'll hand out juice containers to everyone and tell them, "Explain
how to open these containers." Then, after 15 minutes of silent scribbling,
we'll break into groups and COLLABORATE on the instructions.

I'm assuming that the collaborative results will be more interesting than the
single, but not having taught the class yet.... Well, it'll be interesting to
me anyway, scrambling to come up with an explanation of why I've done this to
them.

--Susan
sfowler -at- ejv -dot- com