Re: Topics, on and off

Subject: Re: Topics, on and off
From: Dave McGill <MCGILL -at- ASET -dot- SENECAC -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 16:11:39 EST5EDT

Heli wrote...

> In a manner of speaking, all of us on this list are guests in Eric's house.
> As such, isn't it rather rude of us to argue with the host when he makes a
> request? Would we insist on bringing say, a dog into his house--would we
> smoke--if explicitly asked not to? I would hope not.

I have a bit of trouble with this and think much of the problem is in
the use of the term ListOWNER (emphasis added). I believe that if
someone has to own the list, it is the participants. There is a
need on all lists for a "referee" or "manager" to sometimes end
circular discussions and redirect those interested in clearly
unrelated topics (as an example, the brief discussion several months
ago on autoerotic asphyxiation).

My 2 cents CDN worth (about 1.46 cents US)

Dave McGill
mcgill -at- aset -dot- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca