Re: Some questions about publishing

Subject: Re: Some questions about publishing
From: David and Susan Suna <suna -at- CNCT -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 1995 22:56:07 -0400

I want to thank everyone who responded to my query "Some questions about
publishing. I have included the questions and the responses below.

These were my questions regarding publishing a computer software instruction
book for paralegals.

Questions and answers:
>1. What is a reasonable amount to expect/request for an advance?
-Maximum that you would receive = $5000.
-Realistically a lot less.
- Many small publishing houses do not give advances.
-there are a lot of writers in the field. You won't make a lot of money.
--Figure out your wages on an hourly rate.
-To ingratiate yourself with the client - Initially ask for less money for
the first 300 hours on the job, then increase the wages.
-Instead of waiting to receive one lump sum at the completion of a project,
have the client pay you throughout the project - ie -when you reach milestones.

-The way to profit from the task is to USE the book
to advance your professional career, as an entry for more lucrative
projects, etc.

2. Does a 6 month time frame sound realistic? Or does it sound like I am
trying >to produce too much in too short a time span? Or vice versa?

-Sounds realistic.
-Add 3 months, you never know something might go wrong.
- When you make up a time frame - figure on 5 to 7 hrs per page.

>3. The publisher mentioned possibly following up with other similar books
>in a series. How would this affect the relationship? Would this affect
the amount of an advance I should ask for now or the amount of future advances?

- Future books are not a bargaining chip at this stage.
- For your next books with this publisher you can ask for a higher royalty
rate and advance if this book is successful.

>4. If they decide not to publish my work do I have to return the money?
>How can I protect myself?

-- write a detailed outline and make sure the contract is pretty clear and
specific, so you are not left high and dry.

- write into the contract that if they do not want to proceed with the book,
you keep the advance.
- protect yourself now. After you sign the contract it is too late.

>5. What about copyrights? Would it be possible to retain the right to
>market the book to another publisher that would reach a wider market?

No. It's the publisher's risk. Be sure the contract does not betray you in this.

>5. What about copyrights? Would it be possible to retain the right to
market the book to another publisher that would reach a wider market? In
what time frame would I be able to try something along those lines?

-Usually the publisher gets the copyright
-Make sure the contract provides that all rights revert to you if and when
the publisher takes the book out of print or fails to publish it at all.
That is normally the only way you get rights back.

6. Is this type of book a good candidate for translation? What do I need
to know about translation rights if anything?

-Possibly. But highly unlikely.
-Translation rights are subsidiary rights and look at how they are written
into the contract

7. What if the publisher asks for a huge amount of changes to the first draft?

-Establish _ahead of time_ how many drafts/rewrites you will accept to write
for the established fee -anything beyond that number charge more money.

Recommended reading and associations:
1. "managing you Documentation Projects" by JoAnn Hackos
(published by Wiley & Sons, ISBN 0-471-59099-1), I highly recommend it.
2. Herman Holtz How to Succeed as an Independent Consultant (John Wiley).
3. Get in touch with the Author's Guild in New York City IMMEDIATELY
4. "The Writer's Legal Companion." (Bunnin and Beren,
Addison Wesley)
4. Writer's Market

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

To update you on the progress of my book - I sent a query out to the
publishers to whom I sent my book to find out if they were interested. Four
publishers are interested. Two have sent me sample contracts and letters
saying they want to discuss the matter in further detail.

So if anyone has any more advice - please send it my way.

Susan Suna