Re: Translating the Ideas, Not the Words

Subject: Re: Translating the Ideas, Not the Words
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 07:45:08 -0700

Howard said:
> When trying to translate the ideas alonmg with the words, you may be
> better off using a staff member who speaks the language.

My first response to this was a very loud shriek, which I've deleted
so as not to hurt your tender ears. Instead of using a 'staff member',
I think you'd be MUCH better off finding a technical writer who is a
native speaker of the target language. (Or maybe that's what you
intended and I misunderstood? If so, I take the shriek back.)

I make a good living cleaning up the work of "staff member[s] who
speak the language". (In my case, Japanese to English.)

There are professional translators and technical writers for every
language you can think of. It will save you time and money if you use
them.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com