Re: Translating the Ideas, Not the Words

Subject: Re: Translating the Ideas, Not the Words
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 09:14:53 MDT

Karen writes:

>There are professional translators and technical writers for every
>language you can think of. It will save you time and money if you use
>them.

In addition to this wise advice, I add this. "Translators" who translate only
the words are not translating. The conceptual framework embedded in the
language cannot be translated on a word by word basis.

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * LIBERTY, n. One of imagination's most
Micron Technology, Inc. * precious possessions.
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Ambrose Bierce