Re: Grammar Question

Subject: Re: Grammar Question
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 08:39:58 MDT

Misti,

Verbs that take a direct object are transitive verbs. I used to think that
"display" was strictly transitive, but it's now acceptable (according to some
dictionaries) to use it without an object (for example, "The paragraph
designer window displays").

I can't speak for "populate," but I can say that I've never heard it used, in
reference to database management, without an object.

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * LIBERTY, n. One of imagination's most
Micron Technology, Inc. * precious possessions.
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Ambrose Bierce