What's on topic?

Subject: What's on topic?
From: Callie <callie -at- WRITEPAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 01:27:32 GMT

Sorry for the new thread - news server burped big time.

Let's face it: THERE IS NOTHING UNIQUE TO OUR JOBS.

I type ... so do secretaries.
I code HTML ... so do rocket scientists.
I take things apart, figure out how they work, and put them together
... so do three-yearolds, and often with more success.
I proofread and copyedit and check spelling ... so do fiction writers.
I produce under tight deadlines ... so do newspaper reporters.
I negotiate printing contracts ... so do taco stand owners.
I submit equipment cost/benefit analysis ... so do medical technologists.
I design on-line documents ... so does every waaay kewl dude with a Web Page.
I scan photos for illustrations ... so do sleazeball pornographers.
I produce training materials ... so do elementary school teachers.
I do page layout ... so does the local Alphagraphics clerk.
I write programs (batch files,macros, and filters) ... so do programmers.
I manage subordinates ... so does the crew chief for the office cleaners.
I occasionally do self-promotion ... so does Madonna.
I install computer accessories ... so does Joe Homeowner.

The difference is, that I am expected to do all of the above with
a fair degree of proficiency, while no one expects the taco stand owner to
be able to take a low pressure plasma-enhanced chemical deposition device
apart, describe how it works, write the manual, get it printed, and while]
I'm at it, archive the data and put the machine back together.

I will take my grammar discussions to alt.english.usage (wherever it went to),
the copyediting, indexing, and proofreading discussions to their subject-
specific groups, the HTML to the comp.infosystems.www.*, the typing and
word processing posts to the computer software newsgroups, the print buying
posts to the biz.* groups, the hypertext posts to their spot .....

What's left? Perhaps contemplating one's navel? NOPE - that's covered in
alt.buddha.short.fat.guy

Callie
callie -at- writepage -dot- com
(who has noticed that she got fewer flaming e-mails when she was signing
on as:
firstname lastname
Senior Member, STC
@bigcorporation.com
perhaps there's something to certification after all)