Re: Documentation Vs. Program Responsibility

Subject: Re: Documentation Vs. Program Responsibility
From: "Kahn, Stacey" <skahn -at- WB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 14:58:59 U

William MacLeod (WBMACLE -at- ACCUSORT -dot- COM) asks whether software documentation
should
a) echo on-screen messages, and
b) "reiterate things that are already somewhat user friendly in the
program"

I vote "yes" in both cases.

--> Messages such as "end of database" are important visual clues for the user.

--> Linking the (for example) "end of database" message with the "end" function
key in the documentation reinforces both the use of the key and the key for the
function.

--> If the message does *not* display, the user knows that either they hit the
wrong key, or the system has a problem... an d the user needs to know to expect
the message in order to know that it's not showing up when they expect it to.

In general, I try to always tell the user what's going to happen as a result of
their actions-- and that "what's going to happen" includes the messages that
will be displayed.

FWIW.

--Stacey Kahn Washington, D.C.
skahn -at- wb -dot- com
speaking for myself and not for my employers