Starting a Usability Program

Subject: Starting a Usability Program
From: Mic Vandersluis <micv -at- CMOTOR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 17:27:24 -0700

I need advice about selling the notion of a Usability Program to my
company. I'm also interested in finding a consultant that can come in to
assess the need and back up my proposal.

I'm a tech writer for a high-tech motion control company that produces
products to a apply in general-purpose motion control applications
(primarily factory automation). Product application (and consequently user
instruction) can be complex due to the wide variety potential uses.

So far the quality manager backs me 100%. But the mindset of the company
is to develop from a feature-oriented approach, instead of designing based
on user/task analysis. Testing covers the functionality of features, but
ignores usability.

Staff will want to be shown why we need usability assurance, how it can be
implemented, how it can make us more profitable, examples of successes in
other companies, etc.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Mic Vander Sluis
Sr. Technical Writer