Re: boom:Would you be angry?

Subject: Re: boom:Would you be angry?
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 16:28:00 -0600

While Ms. Kennery is not getting the best from all involved (and those
who should be involved), her VP has a point re: the STC salary survey.
It's very superficial and cries for backup data; I wouldn't rely on
it, either.

I would also like to point out that if the HR department involved is on the
ball, they *also* have a salary survey, culled from HR managers, showing data
about this field. And just like the respondents to the STC survey, these
respondents have a vested interest in the resulting data, except in their case
the interest is in deflating the numbers.

Using salary surveys in compensation negotiations can be like one famous agent's
quip about a baseball salary negotiation. "We had statistics proving he was the
second best pitcher in the league. They had charts showing he was the seventh
best pitcher on the Red Sox."

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124