Re: Multiple ways of doing things

Subject: Re: Multiple ways of doing things
From: David and Susan Suna <suna -at- CNCT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 19:57:35 +0000

Last week I wrote:

> I am working on a book about WordPerfect. For a given task that I am
> describing there are three ways of doing it. What is the best
> presentation method for multiple ways of doing the same thing? The
> options I have thought of are:
> 1. List all methods with examples.
> 2. List only one method (i.e. the simplest) and leave out the other
> methods.
> 3. List one method as the primary method with a note that there are
> other ways to do the same task. Give a brief pointer to the other
> methods.

The majority of the responses recommended using option #3.
The advice given was
1. To know your audience
2. If they are computer novices (which they are) do not overwhelm
them with too many options (=option # 1).
3. Do not leave out material just because you do not know how to
present it.

I want to thank everyone who responded. Your advice has been most
helpful

Susan Suna