safety icons & ANSI 535 (follow-up)

Subject: safety icons & ANSI 535 (follow-up)
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 08:05:18 -0500

Howdy, I'm back from my week off! I noticed in yesterday's digest that
there is still interest in this thread that I started, so I thought I'd
provide some follow-up info.

Nobody around this large company seemed to have a copy of ANSI Z535!
I checked with my SME, the Health, Safety, and Environment Dept., and
the library. I asked the librarian for the cost of ordering it. The
whole set came to $158.50, so I narrowed my list to the standard that I
needed the most--ANSI Z535.3--and before I left my office for my vac., I
suggested to the SME that we order it. He's extremely easy to work
with (for an engineer :)! ), and the standard arrived Monday afternoon.
(It's cost was $49.50, BTW. We had the librarian order it, as is our
practice here.)

I am using the Corel Draw icons for the most part because they come
very close to most of the ANSI guidelines. I had to modify a couple of
them to meet my needs. (I created "Do not touch" and "Gloves
Required" icons similar to those in the ANSI standard.) If you do
not have Corel Draw or if you need more variety, I noticed yesterday
that ImageClub has a set of icons that can be used to create hazard
alert icons.

BTW, for instructions on "How to Write Effective Hazard Alert
Messages," I have found no better reference than an article by that
title authored by a former Oklahoman, Charles Kemnitz, in the
First Quarter 1991 issue of _Technical Communication_.

Regards,
LaVonna
LaVonna F. Funkhouser Immediate Past President, OK Chapter
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com Program Manager, 1995 Region 5 Conf.
technical writer Society for Technical Communication
COREStaff Communication Svcs.

My opinions do not officially represent anyone other than me.