[no subject]

From: "Cheverie, Paul [Cont]" <paul -dot- cheverie -at- CANADA -dot- CDEV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 12:10:00 EDT

Steve,
You wrote:

> I don't know about you, but I feel like I just got out of the principal's
> office. All right, Eric's professional integrity and his respect for the
TW
> community is evident. We're lucky to have him. And I agree that his
ultimate
> decision, as listowner, is final. However, rather than reflexively salute
> all the rules, it may be in the community's interest to explore and test
the
> envelope, to revisit the rules and see which still apply and to what they
> apply, to ask if new ones should be adopted or existing ones modified to
> handle new issues and concerns.
(My reply is directed toward the entire list, particularly to those on
the list who seem to spend their time looking for insults and injustices on
this list regardless of the realities, so don't take this as a personal
attack - it isn't.)
I had no intention to administer 'the strap' like a school principal,
but I did feel it necessary to vent my spleen a little over the whining
about trivialities that seems to afflict this list on occasion.
My point is this: There are rules to everything that human beings
involve themselves in and those of us who are involved in this list have
agreed to abide by the rules as presented to us, when we joined this list.
Eric is the ultimate arbiter of what is and is not right on this list
because it is HIS list - he administers it, he often referee's the fights
that we get ourselves into and he spends his time making sure that the list
works for the rest of us. If someone on this list decides that he or she
doesn't like the rules as they are anymore, that's fine. They have the right
to make suggestions for changes. What they don't have the right to do is to
demand a change to suit themselves like a petulant child or to try to
undermine the authority that Eric has (by his position and his
responsibilities) on this list. That becomes annoying to the rest of us and
makes this list less enjoyable. If someone doesn't like the way this list
works, they are entirely free to establish their own list and do as they
please.
I don't think that there is anybody on this list who has been hard done
by, and I don't advocate blind obediance to rules just because there are
rules. But if someone is involved in an organization and wishes to make some
changes there are avenues within the system that they can use to do so.
There is nothing life or death about this list - it just doesn't have
that importance. So if someone can't abide by the rules or by their
agreement to them (assuming they have changed their minds since joining the
list) and aren't willing to use the system to change the system then perhaps
they should be elsewhere. So relax, pop a fistful of qualudes and don't
sweat the small stuff - it ain't worth the extra heart beats.

Paul