Feature vs. Function

Subject: Feature vs. Function
From: Richard Dimock <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 16:18:05 PDT

John Bell asks about

What are your thoughts? Feature/Function/Command/Other?

________________________

You have the right ideas of feature being major and function
being minor.

I incline toward using "COMMAND" only when there is an actual
command to be keyed. Enter the command:

dir a:\ <ENTER>

There are some menu cases that could be considered commands,
but I think of them as "options". From the File menu, choose
the Save option.

So I suggest you add the OPTION to your list:

Feature
Function
Option
Parameter, even.

Regards,

Dick Dimock, Artfully Senior TW at

AT&T GIS overlooking the Chevron Refinery Wonderland of

El Segundo, CA Where the local newspaper carried the
front page story "SHOTS FIRED IN EL SEGUNDO!"
The story noted that no impacts were found,
no damage done. Indicative of a relatively
low crime rate in this fair town. Contrast
this with an email received from TWlr who worked
in this building in '85 when they found a
murder victim by the front door. Labor
relations are much improved since then.