Re: Re. WYSIWYG vs. tags

Subject: Re: Re. WYSIWYG vs. tags
From: "<Pam Owen>" <powen -at- MAIL2 -dot- LMI -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 13:13:38 EST

Geoff Hart writes:

"Here's another note on the WHYSIWYG vs. tag-based
editors thread. One thing I absolutely love about
WordPerfect is the "reveal codes" (tags) window.
I've long since stopped counting the number of
times I used it to discover and delete a strange
formatting code that I could never see or debug in
any other software. Marvelous feature, and
thoroughly indispensible. WYSIWYG can be more
efficient in creating the tags, but there are times
when you simply can't understand and solve a
problem without viewing the tags."

After years of doing writing, editing, and desktop
publishing on a consulting basis, using various
word-processing packages, I've come to truly loathe
"WordImperfect." Those codes that you like so much
are easily deleted accidentally, sending the user on
an often fruitless search to find the start (or end)
code that has now reformatted a significant section
of the document. In Word, you block text and you
format it. The formatting is embedded in the text, so
codes can't get blown off, and I've never had a
problem "unformatting" text (hit CTRL-SPACEBAR).

My consulting firm typically works with large,
complex documents, and I've also experienced, on a
daily basis, WordImperfect for Windows' penchant not
only for locking up, but scrambling or losing the
file in the process. IMHO, It's a big, volatile
resource-hog that often takes numberable steps to do
what Word does in one or two. While the WordImperfect
for Windows 6.1 upgrade has a lot of great features,
they're only great when they work, which, in my
experience, is not often (at least not without
crashing the system). Importing WordImperfect
documents into other applications has also produced
innumerable nightmares.

I and my two partners refuse to take on clients who
need documents delivered in WP. We tell them that
we're happy to accept the document in WP, but we'll
only deliver it in Word or a designated DTP package.

This is not a question of which package I learned
first and am, therefore, married to. I started on a
dedicated word processor, moved on to WordStar, then
to WP, then to Word, then to Ami Pro (which one - and
only one - of my clients' uses). I believe Word,
while far from perfect, is the best. Microsoft may be
run by a megomaniac and have a lousy track record on
delivering on its promises, but this is one product
that does deliver.

Whew! Glad I got that rant out!

Pam Owen
Nighthawk Communications
Reston, VA
Nighthawk1 -at- aol -dot- com & powen -at- lmi -dot- org