Overcoming Computer Phobia -- How Do We Do It?

Subject: Overcoming Computer Phobia -- How Do We Do It?
From: Marcia Coulter <notjust -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 09:33:40 -0700

A number of us have been contributing to a thread that consists of
anecdotal evidence regarding people who have overcome their "phobias"
re the computer. I think it's time to see what we can glean from these
stories -- what we can take back to our documentation and training that
wil help people overcome blocks.

My vote -- link what's known to what's unknown. Of course, that means
lots of audience analysis to see what it is they already know. And it
means using the particular "jargon" with which they're already
familiar.

Another example: If you're writing docs for a new order entry system,
find out what the turnover rate is. If it's low, consider comparing the
new system to the old. OTOH, if the turnover rate is high, you may have
to use different comparisons.

Any thoughts?

Marcia Coulter
notjust -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com