Comparing Word files for translation purposes.

Subject: Comparing Word files for translation purposes.
From: Steve Osvold <Steve_Osvold -dot- GPS -at- GPS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 13:53:50 EDT

Hello,

I'm Steve Osvold, and I'm managing communications issues for the international
business unit at Great Plains Software. One of the issues I face has to do with
providing updated documentation files to business partners who are selling our
products in non-English-speaking countries. I want to be able to identify for
these partners the areas in the English-language documentation that have
changed since the last update.

The files we provide to our partners are in MS Word for the Macintosh V 5.1
format; these files contain about 35,000 pages of printed and online doc. I
understand that Word 6 includes a revision markup feature. My question for this
group is: has anyone used Word's revision feature for tasks of this nature and
scale, and if so, is it an adequate tool for this sort of thing? Or are there
other Macintosh utilities that are efficient and wouldn't require us to move
our files to Version 6 yet? I'd appreciate any insights you can provide.

Please respond directly to me. My address is sosvold -at- gps -dot- com -dot- If others express
interest in the responses I receive, I'll summarize them and post them to the
list.

Thanks!
Steve Osvold
sosvold -at- gps -dot- com