Re: going into the local bar and saying you're a tech writer

Subject: Re: going into the local bar and saying you're a tech writer
From: Steve Jong/Lightbridge <Steve_Jong/Lightbridge*LIGHTBRIDGE -at- NOTES -dot- CREDTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 10:08:06 EDT

It was long ago and far away, but it still pertains to the thread...

In 1978 my wife and I vacationed in Ireland, home of Joyce and Yeats. At the
Shannon airport rental-car desk, when the clerk filled out his form and asked
what I did for a living, I proudly said, "I'm a technical writer."

"Oh, we can't have that," he said, frowning. "I'll put down 'technical
operator.'"

Needless to say, it was a deflating experience. As near as we could figure it,
the clerk equated "technical writer" with "freelance writer," and feared his
bosses would think he'd rented a car to an itinerant!

-- Steve