Student exercises

Subject: Student exercises
From: Connie Winch <CEW -at- MACOLA -dot- USA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 12:32:00 LCL

Some are arguing that exercises like writing instructions
for tying shoe laces are unrealistic, too simplistic, etc.
I agree with those who pointed out that they serve
at least one valuable purpose: forcing the writer
to reexamine his/her assumptions and previous
knowledge of the subject matter.

In my program, the professor had us write instructions
for making peanut butter sandwiches. When we had
finished, she brought in a loaf of bread, a knife, and
some peanut butter and proceeded to follow each
person's instructions to the letter, with highly amusing
and highly instructive results.

We also did instructions for setting a mousetrap (complete
with coming up with names for all parts, etc.)

That way we were a little more prepared than we otherwise
would have been when she divided us into teams, handed
each team a computer disk, and said "Here's a piece of software;
write a manual for it."

| Connie E. Winch | Baltimore billboard:|
| Technical Writer | Death |
| Macola, Inc. | Taxes |
| cew -at- macola -dot- usa -dot- com | Cal Ripken, Jr. |