Indexing in MS Word 6

Subject: Indexing in MS Word 6
From: Connie Winch <CEW -at- MACOLA -dot- USA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 11:44:00 LCL

Just want to point out that the "AutoMark" feature (which
makes use of concordance files) of Word 6.0 has a couple
of problems, which Microsoft acknowledges. For details,
call the Word support line and ask them to fax you their
document #Q113284 (and any new information on the
problems). Their Standard Support number is (206) 462-9673.

In a nutshell, AutoMark does not search (in the main document)
for words containing hyphens. Also, case sensitivity does not
always work properly. I did not find Microsoft's workarounds
to be particularly effective. My advice is after running AutoMark,
double check the index entries it put in the main document
against the LH column of your concordance table. You may
have to manually mark some that Word missed.

Connie E. Winch
Technical Writer
Macola, Inc.
cew -at- macola -dot- usa -dot- com