trouble for spammers

Subject: trouble for spammers
From: Linda Haynes <lhaynes -at- MACE -dot- CC -dot- PURDUE -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 17:39:33 EST

I'm a long-time lurker, finally poking my neck out...

Found this news item in Online Business Today. Thought you might
enjoy in the light of recent irritating (and costly) spams.

From Online Business Today:

6. INTERNET SPAMMERS GET LOCKED OUT

Internet "spammers" try to advertise or promote their
cause or products by sending unsolicited messages to
all the subscribers of as many mailing lists as they
can. There purpose is to reach as wide an audience as
possible. The spammers do not take into
consideration, and many do not care, that many list
subscribers must pay their service providers for each
message they receive.

Would-be spammers now have had it tougher since
the 1.8b release of L-Soft international's LISTSERV
electronic list management software. The latest
version of the software includes a new "anti-
spamming" feature. Listowners have reported that
LISTSERV 1.8b succeeded in catching such spams as
the ubiquitous "Olga" spam and the "A-Bomb" spam:
LISTSERV's anti-spam feature even caught the
"mother of all spams"---a step-by-step primer on "how
to spam."

For more information about LISTSERV(tm), consult
L-Soft's Web site at www.lsoft.com or write to
sales -at- LSOFT -dot- COM -dot- The software can be
downloaded from ftp://ftp.lsoft.com.

Linda Haynes
lhaynes -at- mace -dot- cc -dot- purdue -dot- edu