justifying 21-inch monitors

Subject: justifying 21-inch monitors
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 1995 21:10:01 LCL

Hello Kat,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Kat Nagel/MasterWork an All am 15.09.95

KN> grayscale --- since most color monitors look fuzzy to me and
KN> give me
KN> headaches (except for a $38k video graphics workstation I saw
KN> at a recent computer show <envy,lust,envy>)

I could not agree more. As I hardly to DTP work, I only use an old Eizo
Flexscan 9500 17" b/w monitor.

BTW: You might have some unexpected difficuties using a b/w monitor on a PC.
This comes from the fact, that most video card drivers asume a color monitor
and do not use the b/w coding in the video connector. The standard VGA video
driver is about the only one that recognizes b/w monitors.

The problem depends on using the green video signal exclusively. E.g., my
PageMaker 4 uses green lines and green on green gives not so much contrast :-)

You can solve this for a program like PM by changing the color of those green
elements. Or you can "patch" your video card driver by hardware. This patch
can be put into an adapter you insert between the video connector at the back
of your computer and the video cable of your b/w monitor. The adapter contains
two connectors and three resistors. Of course you need to know which end of
your soldering iron gets hot :-)

Interested? Then I'll do some ASCII drawing...

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander