Re: telecommuting -- social costs ?

Subject: Re: telecommuting -- social costs ?
From: Michael Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 12:09:02 -0400

Fellow TECHWR-Lers:

I agree with Roberto Giovanni: it's the small things that matter most. For
example, I've noticed fewer and fewer social activities among employees.
Camaraderie is rarer now that people are laid off more freuqently and
contractors are more commonly used. This may help short term productivity
and profits, but it hurts companies' long term stability and growth.

-Mike

Michael Andrew Uhl Internet: uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov
Lead Technical Writer Compuserve: 72624,2155
SVC/NESC Phone: (919) 541-4283
Martin Marietta Technical Services, Inc. Fax: (919) 541-0056
Primary Support Contractor for the EPA ftp site: ftp.nesc.epa.gov
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Scientific Visualization Center (SVC),
National Environmental Supercomputing Center (NESC)
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)