Re: resumes and credentials

Subject: Re: resumes and credentials
From: "Kahn, Stacey" <skahn -at- WB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 11:21:51 U

Someone sensibly suggested that one way to screen resumes is to only read
those with a cover letter, and moreover to use the resumes and the cover letter
as criteria by which to judge the applicant.

Particularly for tech writing, the materials the applicants submit are directly
relevant to their abilities. If Jane Doe can't produce a well-written,
easy-to-read-and-follow resume, why should we assume that she can do any better
with a user manual? If John Jones, working essentially for himself, can't
write a concise cover letter that includes all of the requested information,
on what basis should we assume he could do any better working for us? If
Applicant X can't be bothered to write or customize a cover letter for a
specific job, will s/he bother to tailor *our* material for specific audiences
and purposes?

Resumes and cover letters really are forms of technical writing. Together, they
provide a good initial demonstration of an applicant's abilities.

FWIW.

Stacey Kahn
SKahn -at- wb -dot- com
speaking for myself and not for my employers