Re: resumes and credentials

Subject: Re: resumes and credentials
From: Kathleen Kuvinka <kathee -at- SIRIUS -dot- IDEC -dot- SDL -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 13:35:07 -0600

> Resumes and cover letters really are forms of technical writing. Together,
they
> provide a good initial demonstration of an applicant's abilities.

> FWIW.

I agree! We are hiring a new writer to fill my position, and I have found
myself learning more about them from their cover letters than even their
resumes. I am amazed at the mistakes and all the broken "rules".

Speaking of rules and resumes, I get the impression from this bunch of
applicants that these days almost anything goes, including writing about
their personal lives, leaving off dates, discussing salary, listing non-
relevant experience, etc. The resumes I've seen from engineers, scientists,
and PhDs are even worse! What has happened to professionalism?