Re[2]: How does it affect our work?

Subject: Re[2]: How does it affect our work?
From: powen -at- MAIL -dot- LMI -dot- ORG
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 12:42:02 EST

Marcia Coulter writes:

> I do *not* replace face-to-face meetings with e-mail. I think that
> rapport is necessary to a good working relationship. (Who do you
> work with better? Someone you know and like, or someone you don't
> know and don't care about.)

Actually, I usually try to write my e-mail in an informal style with a few doses
of humor, so it's not too impersonal. So far, my e-mail relationships seem to
have been fairly successful. I usually meet the authors of the documents I edit
at some point, but I find it easier to zip off an e-mail on a particular
question or concern I have about a document when it occurs to me. This seems
better than playing telephone tag or interupting people who are trying to meet
their own deadlines. I also have a good record of my questions and comments, and
the author's or project manager's responses. If a project goes south, those
e-mail messages, like memos, can be a paper trail that supports my actions on a
project. Of course, if I mess up, that's also now "set in stone," but I have
faith in my work and don't worry much about that.

Pam Owen
Nighthawk Communications
Reston, Virginia
Nighthawk1 -at- aol -dot- com, or powen -at- lmi -dot- org