Re: E-mail / social skills

Subject: Re: E-mail / social skills
From: Gerry Bourguignon <bf530 -at- FREENET -dot- TORONTO -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 19:00:36 -0400

On Mon, 25 Sep 1995, Kim Fawcett wrote:

> E-mail breaks down many of the barriers caused by age, sex, race,
> etc. -- not to mention time and distance. I consider this to be its best
> quality.

I couldn't help but think of the movie "Disclosure" when I read this
(quite possibly because I only watched it last night). There was some
mention of a world where we would all communicate on the level of pure
consciousness, without reference to our usual distinctions. This sounds
to me to be as far fetched as the movie's depiction of a virtual database
(complete with a help 'angel'), but who's to say what the future will bring?

I hadn't really thought of it before, but you're right about e-mail
breaking down those barriers. I remember meeting someone at a conference
last year who I had always imagined to be much older. Up to that point,
I had only known him through his Usenet postings.

A Friend.

:)