Re: Writing vs. Marketing

Subject: Re: Writing vs. Marketing
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 15:15:30 PDT

Rick Lippincott wrote:

>There may be exaggerations of features, there
>may be promises of features that are only under development.

Are you describing technical writing or marketing writing here? My
own technical writing generally starts before the product actually exists;
when I only have a spec to work from. Some of the grand and glorious
features in the spec always get dropped in the end, or don't give the
expected benefit.

My manuals typically descibe the product as it will be once it works
right -- which may not describe the first version shipped to customers,
which will go out under "waivers." Thus, I'm documenting our expectation
of the product.

The difference between technical writing and marketing writing is
really this: technical writing exists to allow the reader to use the
product; marketing writing exists to promote sales of the product.
The same document can do both (or neither).

And, of course, the perfect marketing document neither lies nor distorts,
but convinces you solely on the genuine merits of the product and the
uses the product can be put to.

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon * High-Tech Technical Writing
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (503) 453-5841