Re: going into the local bar and saying you're a tech writer

Subject: Re: going into the local bar and saying you're a tech writer
From: Caryn Rizell <CARYN_RIZELL -at- HP-ROSEVILLE-OM2 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 10:10:09 -0700

Item Subject: going into the local bar and saying you're a tech writer...
Hi!

I think I am coming in on the tail end of this thread, but the topic
grabbed my attention because I was just thinking about it this weekend.

I know that we have discussed this issue before on the list, but it
concerns me still: Is there a better, more descriptive term for what we do
than 'technical writer'? Whenever I tell someone what I do, I usually get
a blank look and then have to explain what this means. Usually I just say
"I write software documentation" when someone aske me what I do, because
that is usually what I end up saying anyway after I get the blank look.

It would be nice to have an occupational description that didn't require
more explanation. I love what we do, but I hate telling anyone what I do!

There is probably enough said on this topic already, but I just thought I
would express these thoughts to folks who probably know what I am talking about!

Caryn Rizell

Author: Non-HP-TECHWR-L (TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu) at HP-Roseville,unixgw3
Date: 9/26/95 7:00 AM

I did that once on Block Island, RI. The guy sitting next to me at the bar asked
me what I did--"technical writing" I said--then he asked where.

"At [name withheld] in New York."

He immediately grabbed me around the neck and started choking me (a mock attack,
of course).

"Why are you doing this?" I coughed out.

"MY ENTIRE BUSINESS runs on your software and I can't get this to work and that
to work and the other to work--"

We became friends, more or less, and stayed in touch for awhile afterwards. So,
it is possible to be accepted as a tech writer in a bar, but the process may
not always be, well, easy....

--Susan Fowler
sfowler -at- ejv -dot- com