Re: going into the local bar and saying you're a tech writer

Subject: Re: going into the local bar and saying you're a tech writer
From: Jeffrey Pittman <Jpittman49 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 13:57:37 -0400

In a message dated 95-09-28 01:33:42 EDT,
CARYN_RIZELL -at- HP-ROSEVILLE-OM2 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM (Caryn Rizell) writes:

>It would be nice to have an occupational description that didn't require
>more explanation. I love what we do, but I hate telling anyone what I do!

Why not just tell people, "I actually make my living as a writer." When
the people ask you what you have written, tell them, "I have writen a lot of
books on computer related subjects. You know, the kind of thing that uses
hypertext mark-up language." Then throw in a few UNIX commands, and, voila!
They are either cowed into submission or they will start a conversation
about the Web. If this doesn't work, try correcting them on their grammar.
Good luck,
J.P.