Re: writing for html

Subject: Re: writing for html
From: K Watkins <kwatkins -at- QUICKPEN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 18:39:51 EDT

On @, Marilynne (m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com) wrote:
|Actually, I still have anxiety when researching things in hypertext,
|particularly in help systems. I am always afraid that I am missing
|something important. Did that last skip hop over something I should have
|read? Should I have searched in a different direction?
[snip]
|I may also skip important information in a book by not reading it from
|cover to cover, but it's familiar. <grin>

Speaking personally, I heartily agree. Indeed, I tend to read - or at least
browse - books from cover to cover, precisely to ensure that I'm not missing
bits. Yes, even software manuals; when I start up with new tools, their
manuals form my lunchtime reading for as long as necessary. (I mostly eat
lunch at my desk, so I can turn around as needed and check how this or that
actually works.)

I'm well aware that this is only one learning style. I work hard on making
the information I present available to as many learning styles as possible,
especially those common in my current audience. But I sometimes get tired
of seeing my own learning style implicitly considered fictitious or archaic.
[not accusing any discussion in this group of exhibiting that attitude!]

K Watkins
kwatkins -at- quickpen -dot- com
speaking for myself, not my employers