Re: Re. E-mail's social implications

Subject: Re: Re. E-mail's social implications
From: "Delaney, Misti" <ncr02!ncr02!mdelaney -at- UCS01 -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 15:01:00 -0500

<Geoff Hart relays a story about an e-friend who turned out to be other than
she seemed.>

Geoff, I don't question that your lack of face to face clues *may* have
played a role in your being caught unawares by this woman's dishonesty. But
then again, maybe not. People are always being fooled by other people face
to face, too. That's why "confidence games" and bigamists are the problem
they are. And the classic quote from the interview with neighbors after the
arrest of a mass murderer?

"I never would have guessed. He seemed like such a nice man!"

People are people in space and in cyberspace. It's a good idea to be a bit
cautious in any case.

Misti