FW: Spammers

Subject: FW: Spammers
From: "Delaney, Misti" <ncr02!ncr02!mdelaney -at- UCS01 -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 19:11:00 -0500

From: Price, Becca
Subject: RE: Spammers
Date: Thursday, October 05, 1995 12:04PM

I've also heard of people sending a bill to the spammer for their time and
office costs. One person I know does this with telephone solicitors: warns
them that their professional rate is $50/hr, and they would be glad to
listen to the speil, but to whom should they send the bill. I tried this
once, and found it cuts way down on the unsolicited junk calls and faxes.

-becca
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: internet!VM1.ucc.okstate.edu!TECHWR-L (Multiple recipients of list
Date: Tuesday, September 26, 1995 1:52AM

On Mon, 25 Sep 1995 16:35:00 -0400 you wrote:

>And one more thing. The state legislature of Wisconsin was recently
considering
>making unsolicited fax advertising illegal.

I wish they'd do something like that here in BC. There's a company locally
that produces CD-ROMs containing nothing but fax numbers for businesses in
BC and/or specific regions thereof, all nicely categorized. And they send
out faxes to advertise this. I received three on my PERSONAL fax line within
two weeks.

Both of the first two times, I sent simply, polite replies asking not to
receive any more junk faxes from the.

The last time around, I simply loaded it into FaxWorks, inverted it (white
on black - it was obvious they faxed a hardcopy, rather than straight from a
computer, and this would do wonders for their toner bills), copied it to
about 20 pages, and sent it back with a cover page saying simply, "If I
receive any more JUNK faxes from you people, I will SHOW you the TRUE
meaning of *JUNK FAX*".

Then I schedule it to resend every hour on the hour over the course of that
business day.

Happily, I have not heard another peep from them since.

Windows 95 FIXPACK now available! http://www.austin.ibm.com for more info!
"Maybe all I need, besides my pills and surgery
is a new metaphor for reality..." - Queensr che