bleeder tabs

Subject: bleeder tabs
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 10:43:02 IST

The text on the bleeder tabs is sideways, but we're having a small
controversy over which direction the text should face.

** All sideways text in a book should be 90 degrees counterclockwise
from the regular text.

The reason is, to begin with, that your reader shouldn't have to
reorient his field of vision in more than one direction. You
shouldn't tilt both clockwise and counterclockwise.

Given that principle, why counterclockwise rather than clockwise?
Because if your book is bound on the left, rotating text counterclockwise
puts the binding on the top. It's not a very familiar orientation,
but it is vaguely familiar from notebooks and flipcharts. The
opposite orientation, with the binding at the bottom, is less
booklike.

||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| You can't judge right by looking at the wrong. - Willie Dixon ||