Re: Findlay Students

Subject: Re: Findlay Students
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 09:14:15 PST

Michael Gos wrote:

> Mark says:

> " Maybe so, but I'm glad we repelled that Findlay invasion.
> Suppose every technical writing instructor told all his
> students to participate actively in this list for the
> mere sake of practice. Even if they were all polite and
> literate, we couldn't handle them."

> I have had my tech writing students subscribe to techwr-l for the last three
> years. I consider it a valuable part of their training. I do urge them to
lurk
> for some time and many never move past that stage, but today, many of them
are
> regular contributors to this list. I would hate to lose this educational
> opportunity due to an anti-student bias.

>Michael Gos
>University of Houston-Downtown

And may this be a lesson to that professor at Findlay University. I
knew we had a number of students on this list, and that we were not
only nice and polite to those of us writing in a professional
capacity!! His students were rude and abusive of the Internet, and
not a one of them had the courage to apologize to the list for the
inappropriateness of some of the postings. In addition, each of the
students should have received Eric's wonderful little "welcome"
message. Had each student actually read that message, and exercised a
little common sense, they would have known what they should/should
not and could/could not do.

I'm glad to know that there is another professor out there who
encourages his students to subscribe to this list. Just proves that
we are *not* anti-student, just anti-<insert your own descriptive
here>! <grin>

...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Carlsbad, California USA
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com