[no subject]

From: Steve Evanina <Steve -dot- Evanina -at- SCIATL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 13:40:00 -0500

George Hayhoe writes:

<snip>
This method clearly calls out the fact that these are options, not a
series of steps, even if the reader is skimming the document. I don't
think that Brian's original sentence or Steve Evanina's suggestion
does that effectively.
<snip>

My comment:

<snip>
To create a new file do one of the following:
* Select New from the File menu
* click the New icon in the toolbar
* press Ctrl+N
<snip>

Using an economy of words and keeping the readability index low, the user
is instructed to "do one of the following." How could this be possibly
misconstrued as a series of steps?

If I wanted the user to perform a series of steps, I would have used a
number list.

steve -dot- evanina -at- sciatl -dot- com