Re: Indexing Gerunds

Subject: Re: Indexing Gerunds
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 21:07:31 PDT

>When indexing an item, is it helpful to include gerund references
>(example 1) in the index along with noun references (example 2)?

>* Displaying the P&L report (appearing under _D_)
>* P&L report, displaying (appearing under _P_)

In general, you try to think up the complete list of sensible ways
someone might look something up, and have an entry for each of them.

The CHICAGO MANUAL OF STYLE has a good section on indexing.

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon * High-Tech Technical Writing
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (503) 453-5841