Re: indexing gerunds

Subject: Re: indexing gerunds
From: Kris Olberg <KJOlberg -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 12:49:58 -0400

In a message dated 95-10-20 15:56:34 EDT, kevinsp -at- CRT -dot- COM (Kevin Sporleder)
writes:

>When indexing an item, is it helpful to include gerund references (example
1)
>in
> the index along with noun references (example 2)?

>* Displaying the P&L report (appearing under _D_)
>* P&L report, displaying (appearing under _P_)

I index thoroughly using an object-action approach because I think readers
have more of a tendency to look up the object first. This would favor a
thorough indexing of nouns with the action as a secondary entry (for example,
"P&L report, display" and "reports, P&L" and so on). At the same time, I also
index the gerund (whether I like this method or not) because it has become
commonplace to do it that way. Too much indexing can't hurt, right?

Regards...Kris